Sheet Pan Cheesy Jalapenos
For years, we’ve been making jalapeno bites the messy way: Stuff jalapenos with cheese, dip in wet and dry ingredients, then bake. Using this process, we always ended up with goopy hands, a messy counter, and left-over ingredients. We didn’t make these yummy bites very often, because we just didn’t want to deal with the cleanup!
One day, I decided to experiment with making the jalapeno bites an easier way, using a sheet pan.
The ingredients are few: Jalapenos (obviously!), jack cheese (not pictured), Panko bread crumbs, Italian bread crumbs, flour, grated Parmesan cheese (the kind in the jar – not pictured), black pepper, eggs and milk.
Start by washing the jalapenos, removing the ends, slicing them in half length-wise, and removing seeds and membranes. Be very careful – use gloves and eye protection to prevent getting burned. I use a small spoon to scrape out the insides of each pepper.
Place jalapenos on a greased sheet pan, round side up. Broil on high until they start to char; flip and broil insides. Now lower your oven to 450 degrees.
Mix bread crumbs, flour, Parmesan cheese and pepper in one bowl. Mix eggs and milk in another.
Fill broiled jalapeno halves with grated jack cheese.
Then drizzle egg mixture over the top.
Finally, sprinkle tops of peppers with bread crumb mixture. There’s usually a little extra, so I just sprinkle it over the egg on the pan.
Place pan in 450-degree oven for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.
That’s it! Remove and serve with a dip of your choice, if desired. We like a ranch dip: 1 cup ranch dressing with 1 tsp. garlic powder and 1 tsp. lemon juice mixed in.
After baking, these aren’t individual ‘poppers’, so be prepared to use a spatula to grab a section of melted cheese and jalapeno goodness. And, we don’t so much dip them as drizzle the dressing over the top and eat them with a fork.
Honestly, they don’t usually look this good! I was a little more careful than normal putting these together. But, they taste just as good if they look messy, so don’t worry.
Sheet Pan Cheesy Jalapenos
- 12 large jalapenos
- 2-3 cups shredded jack cheese
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 2 T flour
- 1 T grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- Turn broiler on to high.
- Wash jalapenos. Remove ends, slice in half length-wise, and remove membranes and seeds.
- Place peppers on greased sheet pan, round side up. Broil until they start to char. Flip, and return to broiler. Remove when start to char. Turn oven to 450 degrees.
- Mix dry ingredients: Bread crumbs, flour, Parmesan and pepper.
- Mix wet ingredients: Eggs and milk.
- Fill jalapenos with grated jack cheese.
- Drizzle egg mixture over jalapenos.
- Sprinkle bread crumb mixture over the top.
- Bake peppers in 450-degree oven for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve with dip, if desired. We use: 1 cup ranch dressing mixed with 1 tsp. garlic powder and 1 tsp. lemon juice.
Yep! Going to try this!
Let me know what you think!
To anyone thinking of trying this recipe, it’s killer. Enjoy!
Thanks for the recipe! I’m definitely going to make this. Does look yummy!!
Not pretty, but very tasty!
We’re going to have to try this nummyness~
We have always loved that these are baked and not fried – a little healthier that way!